Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Machine Shop Tools #2, 3d printed, Large Lathe, Vertical Milling Machine, Air Compressor, Bench Grinder

I am going to cover four machines in the et this post.  The first post in this series covering a group of 3d printed machine shop tools is at this link, machine-shop-tools-3d-printed.

Large Metal Lathe
Although there are certainly much larger metal lathes, in this set, there are two lathes, and this is the larger of the two.  I actually added the smaller lathe to the set after I ordered this set, so I have not ordered the smaller lathe yet.

After a quick show with primer, it is easier to see the details that either did not print, were broken in shipping or in the cleaning process.

Although it is hard to see, the wheel in the front is only partially formed, or is broken.  I have beefed up the wheel in the updated offering.  I also increased the size on some of the other details and made some of the handles a little less fragile.

In this end shot, we can see the wheel on the tail stock formed just fine.


Vertical Milling Machine
In general, the drawings I am showing are of the updated models, but the completed items I am showing were printed before these upgrades.  In most cases it would be hard to notice them, but in this case..

you can see the drawings have grooves in the tables, and the printed items do not.

Any new items ordered will have the prototypically correct grooves in the table. I also made the hand wheel on the end of the table larger so it would be more easily seen.

There are several other subtle changes made, but they are marginally noticeable, but will make it easier to paint the details and make it stronger.  Obviously this comes in two sizes.

Vertical Air Compressor
The air compressor was first done for my Lipasek Small Engine repair shop.  lawn-mower-small-engne-repair-shop  This has a lot of 3d printed details to, including lawn mowers appropriate for the late 1940's.

I am going to have to work on my photography!

The air compressor could be used in any number of situations, as just about every commercial shop needs one.  Gas Stations, woodworking shops, etc.

This picture is of the compressor used in the small engine repair show diorama.

Bench Grinders
The bench mounted grinders are the same ones I used in the small engine repair shop.  notice the half grinder in the top center of the picture, that is how I drew it, just drew half of it, then copied it, and reversed it.  Then put the two halves together.  

One of the bench mounted units has 1" wide wheels and the other has 2" wheels.  

Marginal difference unless you look close.  

Next time I will cover four more machines to complete the set, all but the small lathe, which was added after this set was ordered.

The first entry in the blog series can be found at machine-shop-tools-3d-printed-metal

1 comment: